Re: smail configuration.

> Hi,
> 	some sites mail spam rejects my mail because my hostname is not
> qualified.
>
> 	So how do I config smail to make sure my host name is qualified. I
> had a look at the man page about /etc/smail/qualify... but don't really
> understand what to do with it...

Hard to answer without knowing more about your mail setup.
I assume though that you have a common dialup setup where
you fetch mail from an ISP and send outgoing mail via the same ISP.

If so, try sending mail to yourself.  Look at the "from:" and
"sender:" headers.  Chances are that it is "from: you@yourmachine"
where "yourmachine" isn't listed anywhere in DNS so it doesn't work.
Some sites will reject your mail, and nobody will be able to
reply to the bogus address either, unless they happen to be logged
in on your particular machine.  You probably have a an email
address at the ISP, right?  Now change your smail setup so
that smail rewrites your addresses so they seem to come
from the ISP's mailserver instead.  (man smail, look
at /usr/doc/smail, this isn't exactly easy)
Also make sure the username is correct.  More trickery is necessary
if your username on your machine is different from username at the ISP.

People should be able to reply after this, and your mail won't
be rejected if "from/sender" point back to the ISP nameserver which
is registered in DNS.

Helge Hafting