Re: Slink, xbase-common and xdm...

At the Lilo: prompt, type:
  linux single

or whatever your linux image is named if it's not linux.  that'll put
you in
single-user mode and won' start xdm.  then do:
chmod a-x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
so that xdm won't start at all.  reboot and you'll be in normal mode
without
xdm running so that you can fix it.

--Evan

"Hogland, Thomas E." wrote:

> Interesting problem - I've upgraded to slink as part of kernel 2.2.1 on two
> different PC's, and I think I goofed on one. When the new X stuff went in
> and asked if I should use my current config files, the PC at work was told
> No - leave mine alone; the PC at home was told Yes - overwrite with new
> ones. PC at work is fine, but PC at home now immediately boots into xdm and
> refuses to let me log in... Won't take root, me, nothing. Tried booting from
> the boot disk I made - slowly boots, then starts xdm :-(...Anyone know how
> to kill this? Even Ctl-Alt-Backspace just restarts it...
>
> --

Evan Van Dyke                                  E-mail: evandy@netcom.com
Page: 15442232@pager.mirabilis.com             ICQ#: 15442232
DNRC's Minister of Lost Internet Packets.      O-
Amateur Radio Call Sign:  KB8PVE               Elder ResCon at
Northwestern
       "Quoth the Raven...  'Nevermore!'" --Edgar Allen Poe
       "I'll bet that all you can do is watch the ball bounce around the
screen.
                                          --Dilbert to Management