can backgrounded processes outlive a login?

Let's say that I have some program I need to run that will take several
hours, and that I want to end my login session so I don't have to worry
about curious passersby coming and doing terrible things while my account is
logged on.  It seems that there should be some way to accomplish this.  Is
there?  I haven't seen anything.

Please cc: to jlothian as this is his question and he's not on the list.

Rob

--
QOTD:
	"I've just learned about his illness.  Let's hope it's nothing