Re: HP DeskJets

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 09:08:04PM +0100, Martin Saturka wrote:
> Hello,
> can somebody tell me, how HP DJs work in Linux? Which of them works
> well? I want to buy one, but I don't know what are doing nice results
> (690C, 880C, ...???). Thanks a lot, Martin

They work very well PROVIDED you buy a DJ that is NOT a "Win Printer."
I made the mistake of purchasing the HP DeskJet 712C, which is a
Windows-only printer (braindead printer, most printing is done by
Windows proprietary software).

I exchanged it for a HP DeskJet 697C, which works great under Linux.
The 712c listed Windows as a system requirement; the 697c said the
printer would work under Windows AND DOS...  I guess that's the
determining factor.

I believe (not sure, though) that the 800 series also work under
Linux.  The 690 series are definately a go, though.  (My dad has a
693c which also works great).

Good luck!
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,