chmod segmentation faulting

Please be kind to me if I'm just being dumb in some way.

I've got a machine running Debian 2.0 (hamm, I guess) with no problems
except one I've just run into this morning.  It seems that every time I try
to chmod a file, regardless of the file, original mode, or user (root or
otherwise) it fails with a Segmentation fault, and the file mode is
unaffected.  In trying to figure out what's wrong, I wrote a quick C
program to to a chmod() call to do essentially just what I wanted to do,
and it runs with no problem whatsoever.

So now I'm wondering, how should I proceed in trying to fix this problem?
Reinstalling the fileutils package seems a bit naive, and I can think of no
reason why the binary would have become corrupted.  I haven't noticed any
signs of hardware problems, so I hope it's nothing like that.  If anyone
can offer me any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris Kaltwasser                    chris@vote-smart.org
Director of Online Services           Project Vote Smart
Office: (541) 737-0747               FAX: (541) 737-3701

            1-888-VOTE SMART (1-888-868-3762)

                    WWW.VOTE-SMART.ORG