Colour 15 bpp colour depth in X

I am running Slink on my AST 5200M laptop. It has a Cirrus 7555 graphics
card built into it. I took a XF86Config from the Cirrus and Xwindows web
page and it works fine except even though I have added -bpp 16 to startx it
is actually running at 15bpp.

The culprit seems to be a "weight 555" statement in the XF86Config. However
if I remove this line all the colours look washed out and the display seems
very dim.

It runs NT at millions of colours so I guess it should do X at 16 bpp. Does
anyone know where I should start looking to fix this problem ?

Thanks

Pat

 Patrick Colbeck 	  email: pat.colbeck@esc.azlan.co.uk
 Senior Analyst            tel:  you dont seriously expect me to
 Azlan Ltd                       give that out on the internet do you ?