Re: A downright wierd Netscape problem

*- On  7 Feb, Curt Daugaard wrote about "A downright wierd Netscape problem"
> When trying to open certain documents in Netscape--for example, the
> Printing-HOWTO at sunsite.unc--the document is not displayed right
> away but starts to download.  When it's done a dialog box appears with
>
>    Netscape: subprocess diagnostics(stdout/stderr)
>
>    Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal
>    [24; 1H [0;10mVim: Error reading input, exiting...
>    Vim: Finished.
>    [24;1H
>    Vim: Warning:Input is not from a terminal
>
> I have no idea what brought this on.  Does anyone else?  I'd be grateful
> to anyone who can give me a clue.

Well, let me take a stab at this.

You don't say if you are looking at the html or txt version of the
HOWTO.  It looks like a mime type has been set up to launch the vim
application for the file type of the HOWTO.  Then when Netscape calls
vim, vim fails because it is not being launched in a terminal.
The '[24; 1H [0;10m' characters are the results of vim(a text based
editor) sending console control codes to the shell that Netscape
launched for vim, I think Netscape does a 'sh -c' to start its shells,
so it is issuing 'sh -c vim %s'.

Look through your Preferenses-Navigator-Applications for a mime type
that is launching vim.  If you really want to launch vim then you
should launch it in an xterm or other terminal.  Use something like
this for the Application field: xterm -e vim %s.

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net