Re: no permission for rnews

fpage@ntrulez.oche.de (Frederick Page) writes:

> finally got exim up and running with uucp. Everything seemed to work: I
> received email, even could send it.
>
> But when I got news via uucp, the uupoll gave me error-messages and sent
> the following emails to root:

[snip]

> To: downtown!news@ntrulez.oche.de

[snip]

UUCP is trying to send mail (the error message) to "downtown!news".
Exim doesn't understand bang-path addresses, so it thinks that
"downtown!news" must be a username on your system.

You could probably fix this easiest by adding a rewriting rule to
exim.conf:

downtown!*@ntrulez.oche.de	${1}@downtown.oche.de	bctrT

OTOH, maybe you don't want your ISP getting heaps of mail because your
system isn't configured properly yet, so it might be best to leave it
for now.

[snip]

> What's wrong? I did uupoll as root, don't understand this. Could someone
> please tell me which commands to "man" and/or to issue? Do I need
> additional software, besides UUCP, exim (kind of sendmail), procmail and
> pine?

You need a news server, such as C News or INN.  You're going to have
great fun setting one of them up...  ;-)

You might have to then reconfigure UUCP to recognise the enws server.

[snip]

> So the good thing is: the news are saved, but how do I get them back?
> Which command do I need to run in order to re-try and deliver the news?

If one of these files start with "#! rnews ..." you can just run rnews
on it:

# rnews < D.downtowdcc58

"The risk of U.S. national security resting in the hands of adults who play
with children's toys during office hours is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                       - Bruce Martin in RISKS