Re: Dual Boot Woes

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 07:52:34AM -0500, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >
> > This isn't the best solution. You should set boot to your linux partition,
> > then set your linux partition active in fdisk. This is much more flexible
> > if you need to reinstall Windows later, because to get LILO back you just
> > change your active partition (even Windows' fdisk will let you do that).
> >

> I agree in principle, but in this case he has Linux on his second disk
> (hdb1), and the Win9X MBR doesn't allow active partitions on a slave
> disk - he would have no way to get to Linux (other than a boot floppy or
> loadlin). If he wants to use Lilo, it has to be in the MBR to provide
> access to Linux on the 2nd disk.

Here's an idea.  I have winNT on hda1 and linux begins on hda5 and spills
over to hdb* -- entirely logical partitions, not a bootable primary among
them.  lilo appears to have installed itself on hda2, which does not show up
in cfdisk or any other such utility.  Also, cfdisk et al. do not show any
partitions as being bootable or active or whatever.  Net result:  my system
boots to lilo but did not interfere with my existing NT installation.

I don't know why this works and haven't found a decent explanation, but it
does.  Attached is my lilo.conf.  If anybody knows why my system boots, I
would appreciate an explanation; at any rate, I hope it helps.

Rob

--
Your object is to save the world, while still leading a pleasant life.
boot=/dev/hda2

image=/vmlinuz
label=Linux
image=/boot/vmlinuz.noether