Re: please help! recovery from e2fsck

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 10:24:25AM +0800, claydona@ms3.hinet.net wrote:
> If computers get viruses, this seems to be leprosy.
> typing  mc for midnight commander in x windows brought the system
> crashing down to an automatic reboot;
> Lilo did reboot this time but in the last 24hrs has given:
>
> error loading linux
> error 0x01
>
> #and also later:
>
> crc error
>
> Is this a hard drive cable error?
>
> typing
> elm
>
> brought:
>
> State Panic in State.c:159: in_state_fsck
>                                          Bad Magic Number
>                                                             segmentation
> fault
>
> now from tty1 I'm unable to M-f2 change to tty2:
>
> Unable to change tty /dev/tty2: Read-only file system
>

> I'm contemplating a complete reinstall.
This could be everything from a bad cache to CPU, RAM or a faulty harddrive.

I suspect RAM or cache though. If the system has worked flawlessly for a
while until now (a month or more) maybe the processor cooler failed, the CPU
is getting to hot and get random failures, so check the fan.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *