please help! recovery from e2fsck

If computers get viruses, this seems to be leprosy.
typing  mc for midnight commander in x windows brought the system
crashing down to an automatic reboot;
Lilo did reboot this time but in the last 24hrs has given:

error loading linux
error 0x01

#and also later:

crc error

Is this a hard drive cable error?

typing
elm

brought:

State Panic in State.c:159: in_state_fsck
                                         Bad Magic Number
                                                            segmentation
fault

now from tty1 I'm unable to M-f2 change to tty2:

Unable to change tty /dev/tty2: Read-only file system

I'm contemplating a complete reinstall.
I'll be leaving the machine on and look forward to seeing what can be
salvaged.

how can I get a list of files damaged on bad blocks after they
have been cleared with e2fsck?

many thanks
angus claydon