Re: off topic - Assembler using GCC

ivan:
> INT 10h is the video BIOS - I want to set the video mode directly.
>
> By using INT 10h I don't have to learn and programme the card registers -
> the BIOS takes care of this.
>
> Why is the video bios not available from protected mode ?

It's trying to protect one program from another; and if you mess with the
BIOS, you'll completely bypass the protection.

For example, how would the kernel know what to do with the screen when you
want to switch to another VT?

(Actually, I'm under the impression that the BIOS is not used at all after
bootup if finished; at least the GNU projects file claims so.)

> Does this mean that making superfast graphics (as in DOS "demo's") is out
> of the question ?

Well, vgagl claims to be fast, but I've no idea how fast is fast. (package
svgalibg1)

If it isn't fast enough for you, you'll have to write a kernel device
driver. (Actually, is BIOS accessible even from the kernel? I don't see why
it would be... so you might need to write a routine to access it, too.)

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently