Re: Tracking changes made by installation of software

In a message dated 2/6/99 1:52:00 PM Central Standard Time, john@dhh.gt.org
writes:

> What problem are you trying to solve here?  You do realize that dpkg saves
>  a md5sum of every conffile it installs, don't you?  And that when you
>  upgrade the package that dpkg will check the md5sum and, if it has changed,
>  ask your permission before overwriting the file?

We've already been over that a few days ago.  :)  dpkg works fine, except in
two cases.

	1) if you don't use dpkg (some things still come in gzipped packages)
	2) If installation scripts run after dpkg completes do more changes.

-Jay