Re: Tracking changes made by installation of software

MallarJ writes:
> You're right, this isn't a major undertaking - just trying to prevent
> dupication of code that might already be in existence.  The find and diff
> idea is the exact approach I plan on using.

What problem are you trying to solve here?  You do realize that dpkg saves
a md5sum of every conffile it installs, don't you?  And that when you
upgrade the package that dpkg will check the md5sum and, if it has changed,
ask your permission before overwriting the file?