emacs and pgnus

I am trying to use pgnus-0.75 and I have the following problem:

it compiles fine (./configure and make) but when I
use it I get the error
void function: gnus-truncate-string
the problem is that there is no function named
gnus-truncate-string in pgnus; so I think it may be loaded
before I start gnus but I can't find where; I have tried to
eliminate all possibilities:
I load emacs with EMACSLOADPATH=/usr/share/emacs/20.3/lisp,
with no init-file (emacs -q) and I just do
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/src/pgnus-0.75/lisp") load-path))
and M-x gnus and the error happens;

where this gnus-truncate-string comes from?
is it possible that it is at compile time? I have done
strings /usr/bin/emacs | grep gnus-truncate and got nothing

thanks for any help

Hubert