Netscape 4.5 mail server messages

This message may better be posted to another list, but I don't know
what list.  Anyway, I am using netscape 4.5, installed via the
installer that came with the tarball.    I"m pretty sure this is the
glibc version.

I keep getting annoying messages about the mailserver, telling me to
set a user name.  It's not clear to me, but the default for mail
server is:

    Outgoing mail (SMTP) server = localhost

My user name is

    Outgoing mail server username = myname.

Should  the mail server be set as the ISP mailserver?

Thank you,

Alan Davis