Modem locks up, yet again.

Well I've tried all the suggestions from the list and my modem is still
locking up.  This will probably be my last message from Linux
until I can get this fixed because it is getting so bad.   I
have posted about this before but here are the symptoms:

Sometime after I terminate a internet session my modem is locked by a
process, for example,

Feb  5 12:17:01 XYF pppd[222]: Device ttyS0 is locked by pid 218

When I run "ps ax" I get the following,

 218  S0 S    0:00 /usr/sbin/pppd call provider

I have tried killing this process but am told,

XYF:/home/kent# kill 218
bash: kill: (218) - No such pid

I have tried "killall pppd" and "killall chat" as root and this doesn't
reset the modem.

I tried editing /etc/chatscripts/provider and changing 'OK' to
'OK-AT-OK'.  That didn't work.

I tried using the modem dialer program minicom.  I used the hang-up and
reset part of the program and that didn't help.

I tried removing the lock,  rm /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0   that didn't help.

It seems like the modem is locked any time I let the system set for
awhile (off line).  I ran xconsole to see if I could find anything that
might be locking the modem.  I discovered "cron.daily" runs.  Also there
was an email program exim trying to get mail so I edited a file and shut
that off.  I shut off the "blackout screen" in X.  Basically taking pot
shots in the dark.  None of this helped.  My modem works just fine in
windows so I don't think it is a defect in my modem.  It is a zoom 56k
model 2919, two months old, purchased so I would have a modem to use
under Linux.  Doesn't seem like such a good investment right now.  The
problem I'm having was present from day one but has increased in
frequency so that now I seem to spend most of my computer time shutting
my computer off and turning it back on trying to reset my modem.  A
reboot won't do it.  Sometimes I have to shut my computer off 4 or 5
times before it will reset.  Once used to suffice.   I'm probably
forgetting something I've tried but that is the bulk of it.  Does anyone
know what else I can try?
Thanks,
Kent