Re: Kernel configurations

This probably doesn't address all of your concerns, but if you use
kernel-package to generate a kernel-image*.deb package, it will include
the .config file as /boot/config-KERNELVERSION.  That will at least let
you see what options were selected for an installed kernel, and can be
copied to your source tree as the basis for a new compile.

You can keep the names of the kernel-image packages unique by
manipulating the "debian version" portion of the name (I tend to use
descriptive versions, like "smp.1", etc.), and so can generate as many
as you like on the box of your choice.  Then you just need to distribute
the deb-files to the appropriate systems for installation.