Re: how to mount remote file system?

On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 09:25:29AM -0800, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
> I have a linux box serving as a web server.  This computer has no
> monitor on it and is stashed in a remote corner.  I administor it via
> telnet.  (Maybe the wrong way...).
ssh is much better :-) You want it.

> I'd like to mount part of it's
> filesystem on the linux box at my desk, so I can update the web pages.
On the server: install nfs-server, put

/path/to/the/webroot your.linux.box (rw)

in /etc/exports and read the exports(5) manpage. On your Linux box:
put

your.web.server:/path/to/the/webroot /mount/point nosuid,nodev 0 0

in /etc/fstab. Note the uid's and gid's of are preserved when copying files,
so you better have the same uid on both machines. root is mapped to nobody,
so make your web server pages writeable by someone else than root.

read the mount(8) manpage, especially the nfs options for more hints.
Of course you will need the NFS filesystem in your linux box.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *