Re: mutt with pgp support?

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Chris Frost wrote:

> Does the mutt included with debian (hamm) include support for pgp v5 (or
> gpgp)?
>
> I'm thinking of switching over to mutt from pine after hearing how many
> people use it here, and after a day of fixing problems trying to get it to
> compile on my boxes. :( If anyone here has used both mutt and pine, what
> are the main things mutt offers over pine (besides the license); is there
> anything which pine does better?
>
> thanks,
> Chris

Does mutt have a nice built in address book like pine? Does mutt do the
IMAP thing like pine? Is mutt able to lookup email addresses from an X.500
directory server via LDAP? Uh, these are legitimate questions, meaning I
really don't know the answers. I wasn't trying to be a smarta*s.

These features have become really essential for me. I have a Debian
machine at work that is my team's mail server to which I connect via
pine/IMAP from home, other software development workstations in our lab,
and remotely via a laptop when I'm on travel. The IMAP functionality
in pine works really great, I love having this central email
repository regardless of where I am physically.

I wish pine had color and that the license thing could be solved more to
Debian's liking. Some would like a glitzier X Windows-based display
(though I would argue that the curses style display had a lot of utility).
When I used mutt several years ago, I seem to remember that it was rather
confusing to configure, whereas pine has a nice built in configuration
utility with on-line help.

Ultimately, though, one's choice of a mail user agent is pretty
subjective, like editors :)  Maybe you should just try mutt for a while
and see if you like it better.