RE: Copying CDs

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Jon Burchmore wrote:

> I have to disagree with part of what was said above.  I use plain old dd to grab
> images off (data) CD-ROMs all the time.  A simple dd if=/dev/sr0 of=image.iso bs=8192000
> works for me.  Of course, this doesn't work with audio CDs (I use cdparanoia for
> them).
dd works, but sdd does a better job; take a look at the readme below:
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sdd is a replacement for a program called 'dd'.

sdd is much faster than dd in cases where input block size (ibs) is not
equal
to the output block size (obs).

sdd does not have some of the design bugs of dd that cause the following
command to fail:

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 bs=126k | rsh otherhost 'dd ibs=4k obs=126k
of=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2'

The output disk will not be equal to the input disk because the dd command
on 'otherhost' will read fragments of 'ibs' and fill them up to 4kB.

Other features not found on 'dd':

        - Statistics are much better readable as from 'dd'.
          Output is not # of full blocks + # of partial blocks (not
useful)
          But: # of full blocks + # of bytes from partial blocks = full
amount

        sparky joerg > sdd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 bs=126k of=/dev/null -t
        sdd: Read  268 records + 22528 bytes (total of 34600960 bytes =
33790.00k).
        sdd: Wrote 268 records + 22528 bytes (total of 34600960 bytes =
33790.00k).
        sdd: Total time 10.601sec (3187 kBytes/sec)

        - Timing available, -time option will print transfer speed

        - Timing & Statistics available at any time with SIGQUIT (^\)

        - Can seek on input and output

        - Fast null input
        - Fast null output

        - Reblocking on pipes does not fill small input blocks to
          input block size

        - Debug printing
        - Progress printing

sdd is by the same author that does cdrecord. If you're interested just
drop by cdrecord's ftp site and grab sdd.

Chris
<- Visit Me At <http://www.frostnet.advicom.net/chris/> ->

                               Public PGP Key:
     Email chris@frostnet.advicom.net with the subject "retrieve pgpkey" or