Re: ATX & autopowerup [was: [whine] "Power down." vs "System halted."]

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.3.91.990203144509.27570B-100000@semo.tio.net>,
trio  <trio@tio.net> wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 servis@purdue.edu wrote:
>   Has anyone else run into this related problem? Basically i want to run
>server machines. That means i have them on a UPS. But there are times
>when the power is off even longer than the UPS can hold up the system.
>So, with the new ATX boxes, the power switch is off! Totally! A human has
>to push the button to turn it back on. Does anybody know a way to get
>around this new "convenience"? I'd like to be able to buy a new box and
>yet have it come back up after the power has been off.

On a lot of systems, you can change this in the BIOS. For some
systems there is a BIOS upgrade that lets you do this if the old
one doesn't.

Some other motherboards have a jumper to set powerup on poweron (?).

If that doesn't help, you can always connect the purple wire coming
from the powersupply to ground (the black wires). At least I THOUGHT
it was the purple one. It might be the green one just as well ..
It's easy to find; all colors of all wires are printed on the ATX
powersupply usually (+12, +5, etc) but the poweron-wire isn't. That's
the one you want to connect to ground.

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?