Re: Goodbye, people!

Hi kaynjay,

you wrote on: 02 Feb 99 at 20:11 (received 03.02.99)
about       : _Re: Goodbye, people!_

>>will get there.  What I do have is a system that doesn't crash every five
>>seconds, it is fast and very configurable  I guess what I'm trying to say
>>is if I can work with this O/S anyone can.  It just takes time.   Use
>>Windows but keep plucking away at Linux:)  Give yourself something to
>>compare Windows to.

>I have to agree with you, Kent.  My primary system is still OS/2 (note the
>mailer) but I am slowly moving into Linux/Debian.  I have far less time than
>I'd like to spend with it, but I can see the benefits down the road.
>
>Now if I can only get X up to a state my wife would find palatable ...  :)

Same here, Windows NT user, *but* already using a UUCP provider for my
emails and news (CrossPoint). At first, I messed up the system about each
and every day. Formatted the HD about 12 to 15 times and re-installed
Linux (had /etc/* saved) :-)

Finally compiled my custom-Kernel with soundblaster support and it even
worked! Boy, was I proud! Managed to install netscape finally, set up a
PPP provider, can surf the WWW. All went surprisingly smooth (thanks to
pppconfig).

Then I became cocky, "just" wanted to switch to Linux with UUCP. Installed
sendmail, procmail, pine and failed miserably. Gosh, I really hate
sendmail-config, that's a real pain in the you-know-what.

Then switched to exim (instead of sendmail), that worked better, I
received email, got confident again, but configuring a mailer to UUCP is
more work than I thought.

Now I'm waiting for some good prince to come along and help me with that
:-) (already posted the question "exim and uucp" here today).

But I'm stuck with Linux now and I'm really working to make it my *only*
OS, no matter what cryptic configs I may have to run.

Kind regards

Frederick