Re: wine question

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 01:40:21PM +0100, Lars Steinke wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 10:48:25PM +1100, Shao Zhang wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	I have no idea how wine works, and I would like to have a try.
> >

> > 	But my windoze is running nt4, and the file system is NTFS, will
> > wine support this??
>
> Wine is a Windoze emulator for 16bit applications and I do not
> think you can use you Win NT installation as a basis for the
> emulator but I might be mistaken...

I use wine occaisionally with an nt4 installation.  The only problems that
I've encountered are that several programs that are reported to work under
wine do not.  In general, I can run some small programs (freecell,
minesweeper :) but larger, useful programs such as Wordperfect (7) fail.
There is an option "-winver nt4" or something like that once you get it up
and running, but it hasn't worked any miracles for me.

Also, you must be able to access your windoze partition to run wine; mine is
vfat, so I'm okay, but I was under the impression that NTFS was unreadable
to Linux and that this is the source of many pains in many butts.

> Check out www.wineHQ.com for information.

why, what a phenomenal idea.  I think I'll do that myself.

Rob

--
Spouse, n.:
	Someone who'll stand by you through all the trouble you