Wierd Printer Problems

My HP LaserJet 6L prints with very wierd characters.  For a brief moment, I could print quite well.  Then I recompiled the kernel and now it prints gobblety gook.  How should I configure my kernel so that I have all the correct modules?  Which modules should be kept as modules, which should be built into the kernel? Which modules are necessary for my parallel port to work with my printer?  I am aware of 'parport,' 'parport_pc,' 'parport_probe,' 'lp,' are there others?  Please help, I'm desperate to get my printer going again.  Thanks.

NatePuri
publisher@ompages.com