X woes (potato)

After yesterdays X update to 3.3.2.3a-9 my system wanted to run xdm (I
previously didn't use xdm).  However, whenever I would log in, it would
immediately return to the login screen.  I decided to remove xdm, but now
when I try to run X using startx, I get the gray screen and cursor (the
window manager <icewm-gnome, but it does this with any window manager>
doesn't get started) then X stops running and I see:

waiting for X server to shut down

Before that, I get:

System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm -m us
-em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> " -eml "Errors
from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86  /var/tmp/xfree86.xkm'

Since this message showed up before, I'm pretty sure it is unrelated to
the problem.  Does anyone know what I can do to troubleshoot and/or fix
this?

Bob

----