exim: I get mail but cannot send

Hi all,

after trying to configure sendmail (pain in the neck) to work with uucp, I
gave up on sendmail and (thanks for the exim-thread) tried exim.

Now this really went smooth, I also read some of the docs and had it set
up quite nicely. Wow, *this* is really a difference.

Haven't set up procmail yet, but tried an uucp-connect (uupoll provider)
logged in as root and this time it really worked! sendmail just needed
about 2 minutes for each email, before it got "trashed", I found those in
an error-directory later (ok, so I did configure sendmail incorrectly).
Exim delivered the mail in an instance.

Logged in under my normal user-account and wow! The email was ready for me
in pine. Man, was I glad! Even the German character-set was correct, I
could read and write "umlaute". I was so proud, you won't believe it (ok,
I'm a newbie).

Happily responded to the emails and made a cc to two other email-addresses
of mine. Haven't got the responses (yet?), it's two hours by now.

My responses are located with cryptic names in /var/spool/exim/input,
obviously ready to be delivered but don't seem to get transmitted to my
uucp provider.

What did I do wrong this time? :-( Any help will be appreciated and I
apologize already for these dumb questions.

Kind regards

Frederick