Re: Hard disk problem on istallation of Debian

Hi,

On Mon, 01 Feb, 1999 à 03:43:29AM -0800, Ólafur Freyr Hjálmsson wrote:
> Hi
> I'm a bit new to Linux so excuse me for asking trivial questions.
>
> I tried to install Debian yesterday and made it as far as past selecting
> a color display :)
>
> when I try to run cfdisk on my hdb it exits with an error message
> (I didn't note it down, sorry) I looked closer at the startup messages
> and there were a few lines like
> <4> hdb: irq timeout: status=0x50 {Driveready SeekComplete}
> with lines like
> <4> ide0: reset: success

> I'm aware of the possibility to give the physical description of the
> harddisk at the boot prompt, but I have this silly IBM BIOS that
> doesn't report the hard disk dimensions and I hoped there was another
> solution.
>
> My system is an IBM Intellistation with two hard disks, a 9GB scsi
> and a 6.4 Gb ide. The scsi has no problems but I want to install

Why hdb if you only have one IDE drive. It should be hda. Verify that your
disk is configured as single or master (not slave)

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\