Re: CD image: *.raw --> *.cif?

In article <[🔎] 01be4e68$7478ed40$564953ce@michaelp> you write:
>I've decided, against my better judgement, to do a download of the
>debian-i368.raw thing and just press my own CD.  I have a small question,
>though: I'm a Win32 junkie, and the program I use to cut discs is Adobe CD
>Copier.  The image files it accepts are .CIF files; in the FAQ portion of
>http://cdimage.debian.org
>it says that to get Windows apps to recognize the image, change the file
>name from *.raw to *.iso.  Well, that's not gonna work, but as long as my
>thinking is correct, I can just rename it to *.cif and be all very well.
>Yes, I'm being exceedingly overcautious and perhaps that was a stupid
>question, but I'd rather not download 550+ megs of useless filespace, you
>understand.

No, it almost definitely won't work. The .cif format is a proprietary one
used by Adaptec (and apparently Adobe); in fact, it's a wrapper format
that can contain proper ISO images. Try some better (i.e. more compatible)
software...

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------