Re: libc6 or libc5???

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 10:54:05PM -0800, Tom Persons wrote:
> I recently downloaded the latest Debian dist (hamm I believe) from the debian.org website. I did this after realizing that the dist that came on a cd I have is about a year or so old. I wanted the latest stable kernel/apps/etc.....   I'm new to Linux but was able to install my original dist with little trouble and was able to download the proper X server and get twm up and running. Then I decided to download fvwm95 and window maker to have a more elegant front end to X. In addition I found that I needed the latest ppp package as well. After many painful attempts I could not get these packages to install so this lead me to finding the entire dist. Well, none of the packages will install because they apparently depend on libc6, but this conflicts with libc5 which some of the other apps depend on. In fact, dpkg wouldnt even let me remove libc5 because of this. Is it OK to remove libc5? I'm assuming I have the latest versions of the apps that need libc5 in the new dist and that they depend on libc6. Is this the case?
>
> Tom Persons

I am guessing that you have debian 1.3 (bo), already installed.  To upgrade
from bo to hamm ( the latest stable release), a special procedure is
needed because of the switch from libc5 to libc6.  You cannot just
install libc6 - that will break all of your other packages.  There
is a script for doing this upgrade available (autoup.sh) and instructions
should be available on the website ( which I can't get to right now) and
on the ftp site ( in the directory
/pub/mirrors/linux/debian/hamm/hamm/upgrade-i386 on my local mirror).

Good luck and if you have other questions, feel free to ask.

--
Jim Crumley                 |
crumley@belka.space.umn.edu |