Re: Mouse again!

> Ok, this does not sound at all like an irq conflict, but just to make sure
> do
> cat /proc/pci to get the data on S3 card of yours. More specifically, it
> will tell you hte irq it has, which can not be obtained from cat
> /proc/interrupts

   lspci gives that the card is on IRQ 10. This is also what the boot up
message suggests. So, it definitively isn't on irq 4

> You sure that the mouse is set to irq 4?
> Try setserial -g /dev/ttyS0 to get the data on mouse, or where it should
> be.

   It is indeed irq 4.

> >    Since with my old VGA card, the mouse works great, and it works fine
> > under Windows with the new card, I am at a loss here. My BIOS settings have
> > a com1 at 0x3f8, irq 4, and a non-PnP OS, automatic IRQ assignation and
> > resetting enabled. It's one of this Award PnP BIOS's you seem to get
> > everywhere these days.
>
> Try changing it to pnp OS? It should stil boot fine.

   I've tried, but no changes.

> >    Yesterday, I got hold of a matrox millenium gfx card, and swapped my S3
> > ViRGE for it. The problem stays with the new card, and the card doesn't work
> > properly.
>
> What is the problem with new card?

   It's not mine :) and it has some trouble with the monitors we have around
here. It's fairly old, and that probably explains it. Basically, I can't use
it as it's not mine :)

> >    I'd be *REALLY* grateful if anyonce could send me some information (or to
> > the list), as I can't use either gpm or X, and I need to get to X to finish
> > some work!!!!
>
> The only thing I could blame it on is bad hardware....but which one,
> though.
> But lets see what htose cat's turn out.

  As I said, I don't know what might be wrong with this card. At present, I
restored my old card, and I'm using X windows to reply to your message.
Nothing at all has changed, and everything is working fine. I was wondering
if the motherboard might be to blame. Basically, in old motherboards, you
needed some hardware on the first PCI slot. Since the card is too big, I can
only place it on the last slot. I placed the sound card (which I'm not using
or anything near that), and the problem persists. I'll try to use another
gfx card that I know works well...

  And I know that some S3 had problems with ttyS2 and stuff like that, but
not with ttyS0. Moreover, it runs flawlessly from Windows :-?

   Cheers!
   Jose
--
Jose L Gomez Dans			PhD student