Re: Help compiling my kernel

Please correct/add ANYTHING in my answers.

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 10:16:12PM -0600, MallarJ@aol.com wrote this:
> I need some help compiling my kernel:
>
> 1) I would really rather not have to go through the config process - it is my
> hope that I can use the standard .config file with a few modifications - in
> particular, sound and APM enabled.  Can't I just use the standard .config
> file, modify a few things via an editor, and use it to recompile my kernel?
> If I do this, can I skip the make menuconfig step?

I'd say it's always best to check all the configurations BUT if you like
to edit .config i guess you should do a 'make mrproper' first to clean
things and then a 'make config' and just press return 'til it's done.
Then edit .config for to your liking. After you are done do a 'make dep'
and 'make clean'. After that you should be able to compile, and possibly
install if you like that, with 'make modules;make modules_install;make
bzlilo' or just plain bzimage if youd like to install it manually.

> Further, I unpacked my kernel-source package, but it doesn't contain a .config
> file, however it does contain .config.save.  Can I rename it to .config and
> use it?

Since i don't know what the configure in that file looks like i can't
advise you on that. Better do a make config instead.

> 2) After I compile my kernel, say I decide to change a few things in the
> source - is there a need to redo the make menuconfig step?  Or does that
> strictly create the .config file?

I'm not quite sure what menuconfig does except makes a new config. Don't
see why it should be needed.

> 3) I tried to make menuconfig, but got an error:
>
> rm -f include/asm
> ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> make -C scripts/lxdialog all
> make[1]: Entering directory 'usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.34/scripts/lxdialog'
> gcc -O2 -Wall -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE  -DCURSES_LOC="<curses.h>"   -c
> lxdialog.c -o lxdialog.o
> In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
> dialog.h:29: curses.h: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [lxdialog.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.34/scripts/lxdialog'
> make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
>
> I'm guessing I need something like ncurses<xxx>-dev, right?  How come this
> isn't in the dependencies of kernel-package?

Yup..install libncurses-dev to get that file. And it's not in the
dependency-list since you don't actually NEED it...it just make life
easier to 'make menyconfig' than 'make config'.

> 5) I seem to have three different versions of the header files.  Do I really
> need them all?   I have:
>
> libc6 			-> /usr/include
> libc5-altdev		-> /usr/i486-linuxlibc1/include
> linux source	-> /usr/src/include

When you look at the kernel-source-package it says that the
kernel-headers don't need to be installed. They are provided by the
kernel-source-package.

> 6) The kernel-package docs say I need to run:
>
> make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot <version>
>
> Do I need to do this if I compile as root?  I don't have fakeroot - do I need
> it?  Will su work instead?

I haven't used kernel-package so i really can't tell. But fakeroot seems
quite obsolete when compiling as root. Why make a package of it at all?
'make bzlilo' compiles and installes the needed files all by itself.

G.L.

// Marwin

--
| Björn Elwhagen aka Marwin             Finger marwin@arwen.mumin.nu |
| Student at Wexio University           for PGP public key.          |