ypppasswdd and foreign chars

Hello

I have a server and some clients running Debian hamm. The server runs
nis but I have got problems using yppasswd.

If the gecos field contains any foreign chars, ie. æøå. Change of
passwd, gecos or shell, fails. If there is no foreign chars everything
works fine.

From the log on the serer:

Feb  2 10:50:14 klein rpc.yppasswdd[530]: Invalid characters in gecos argument: "f"
Feb  2 10:50:14 klein rpc.yppasswdd[530]: update afp (uid=257) from host 130.ccc.xxx.yyy failed

The "f" should have been a "æ".

/etc/profile on the server contains:

export LANG=da_DK

among other things.

Does ypppasswd not suppport foreign chars?

Yours

Per Marker Mortensen <pmm@fys.ku.dk>
System Administrator, Ørsted Laboratory
Niels Bohr Institute for Astrophysics, Physics and Geophysics, Copenhagen

Office (HCØ):     D301
Officephone : 35320501
Mobilephone : 20413070
Homephone   : 32876254