Re: Intent to package mh-book. What PostScript version?

> shaul wrote:
>
> > > I intend to package the html version of the book
> > >
> > >  MH & xmh: Email for Users & Programmers
> >
> > Can you add the postscript version to the package ?
>
> What PostScript version?
> I _recall_ seeing that but can't find it now...

[22:46:07 shaul]$ cat mh_book/README
This directory has printable PostScript copies of the online "MH & nmh"
book.  They're created from the HTML (Web) version, which you can find
at http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/book/ and mirror sites (including
http://www.tac.nyc.ny.us/mirrors/mh-book/ -- see the list, servers.htm).
The files named app*.ps.gz are appendices; files ch*.ps.gz are chapters;
front.ps.pz is "front matter" like the table of contents, and
index.ps.gz is a rough index made from the HTML book's searchable index.

These files are not updated as often as the Web verion.  They also don't
have the handy features like a searchable index, links to the related
sections, and so on.  But, if you really want a paper copy, these should
do the job.

Each file contains a chapter from the book.  The files are compressed
with GNU gzip.  You can uncompress them with gunzip or you can extract a
file for printing without making a temporary file with a command like:

	gzcat ch01.ps.gz | lpr

I've built each chapter file from its individual parts.  I did this by
chopping off the HTML header and adding HTML code that gives the
original URL where the part came from.  This way, the html2ps converter
script can print more than one part per page, if possible -- instead of
printing each part on a separate page, which would make the printed book
a lot thicker.  The printed pages don't look beautiful, but I think
they're effective.

Each chapter's page numbers start at another multiple of 100.  For
example, chapter 1 starts at page 101, chapter 2 at page 201, and so on.
I wanted to make page numbers like 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, etc. but this was the
best I could do with the html2ps converter script.  (BTW, kudos to the
html2ps author, Jan Karrman.  What a great script he's written!  If
you want it, check http://www.tdb.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html.)

The links from the book are underlined.  You can't click on them in this
PostScript version, of course -- but I hope that between the printed
table of contents and the printed index, you can get pretty close to
finding where the link points.  Another way is to just get on the Web,
find that link, and click on it.

The file make-book-ps is a Bourne shell script I used to build the book.
It's an ugly hack, and you probably don't want it.  Any other unreadable
files here are probably unreadable for a reason; you won't want them.

If you have any problems or comments -- especially, if you find
missing or corrupted pages -- please let me know!  I can't promise
to spend a lot of time maintaining this or making it pretty.  (I
barely have time to maintain the HTML source files, let alone these
PostScript files which few people seem to want.)  I'd be glad to
get your well-thought-out suggestions for improving these PostScript
files, overall, especially if you can send a patch to make-book-ps
that implements the change!  (Before you do a lot of hacking, you
might check with me first to see whether I agree with your idea.)
Thanks.

--Jerry Peek, jpeek@jpeek.com, http://www.jpeek.com/~jpeek/
[22:46:13 shaul]$