Re: I hate dselect

Kent West wrote:

[snip]

> Maybe if I spent a few weeks learning all the nuances of dselect
> I could figure out how to work it, but the help screens indicated
> that I could just select something like "Required Updated
> Packages" and put that on Hold. But then dependency screens came
> up, so as per the help screens, I pressed "R" to restore things
> to the way they were, then I pressed "X" to exit and abandon all
> changes. But when I went to the "Install" option to try the full
> download again, all of a sudden the size of my download doubled.
> From there it just went downhill.

OK, to put all your packages on hold:

1. Highlight the major secion headers. ie. "--- Up to date installed
packages ---"
2. Press the '=' key.
3. At the dependency screen, put all these packes on hold suing the '='
key.
4. Press 'shift-q' (that is capitol Q) to leave the depency screen.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the next major section.

Now go back and select the packages you wish to download.

Hope this helps

--
Paul Miller
pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu