Re: Help with unzipping files.

Nuno Donato wrote:
  >Can anyone help me out with a problem.
  >I have downloaded some apps for linux, but they are
  >compressed. Can anyone tell me how to decompress them.
  >Step by step if possible.

There are various kinds of compression, usually indicated by the filename:

*.gz       -  compressed with gzip, use gunzip
*.tgz      -  a tar archive compressed with gzip, use gunzip or add the
              z option to tar when unarchiving
*.zip      -  compressed with pkzip (usually on a DOS/Windows system), use
              unzip
*.Z        -  compressed with UNIX compress, use gunzip
*.bz2  ?   -  compressed with bzip, [not sure what to use here]

There may be others.  Tell us which you are dealing with and we can give
more information.

     "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of
      temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of
      judgment to be punished;"            II Peter 2:9