Re: How to read Texinfo file format

First off, thanks to those who replied for the help!

As advised, tried 'makeinfo', which gave a list of errors, things about
missing nodes and unknown commands.

If it helps, here's a 30 or so lines of the source file, followed by some of
the error messages, which...
<snip>
\input texinfo

@c        %  -*-texinfo-*-
@c        % leave this in TeX comment format in case
@c        % \magnification=833 ever moves back here from texinfo.tex
@c Copyright notice below
@c
@c $Id: gnuproject.texi,v 1.15 1998/11/17 17:50:29 bjepson Exp rms $
@c
@c keep this as first comment block in file.

@c keep this as second comment block in file:
@c %**start of header
@setfilename draft.info
@settitle The GNU Project
@setchapternewpage off
@c %**end of header

@ifclear text
@direntry
* The GNU Project: (gnu).
@end direntry
@end ifclear

@ifinfo
@node Top, What Is GNU, (dir), (dir)
<snip>
------------------------------------
<another-snip>
gnuproject.texi:18: Unknown command `direntry'.
gnuproject.texi:21: Bad argument to `end', `direntry', using `ifclear'.
gnuproject.texi:21: Unmatched `@end'.
gnuproject.texi:23: Unknown command `ifinfo'.
gnuproject.texi:25: Unknown command `top'.
gnuproject.texi:26: Unmatched `@end'.
gnuproject.texi:27: Unknown command `c'
<... and so on, snip>

'makeinfo' finishes up with "makeinfo: Removing output file
`/home/alfie/draft.info' due to errors; use --force to preserve."

I tried the '--force' option, and a few intermediate files were produced.
That is, I'd start with 'makeinfo foo' which would produce '#foo#'; things like
that.

To view these files I tried commands like 'info foo', and looking at them using
'less'.  'info' didn't like any of them.  'less' didn't mind of course, but the
results weren't any nicer than the source code, though the makeinfo output
files did look a little different from the original.

My guess would be that either the file is incomplete or corrupt, or I'm using
the wrong tools.

More ideas on how to view this file, or why makeinfo doesn't compile it?