Re: [LPRng] Remote Printer and if filters

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 04:58:58PM -0500, Chuck Stickelman wrote:

> Here's what I'd guess to be a simple one.
You are correct.  But problems always look simpler _after_ they are
solved ;-).

> I've recently purchased a print server from Lantronix (LPS1-T) and I'm
> able to print to is using a
> fairly simple /etc/printcap entry:
>
> lps|Lantronix Print Server LPS1:\
>         :rm=lps_260923:\
>         :rp=lps_260923_pcl:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lps_prt:\
>
> However, when I try to use an input filter (a.k.a. magicfilter) it isn't
> working.  I've got magicfilter
> working on the same printer (HP LaserJet 5L) when attached to the
> Parallel port, so I know it's
> not magicfilter it'self.  I seem to remmeber that lpd doesn't use
> filters and remote printers at the
> same time...is that still correct?
Yes.  See 'man printcap':
	"rm	str	NULL	machine name for remote printer
				(filters not run)"

> Do I need to set-up two queses - one with the "if=" statement and one
> with the "rp=" and "rm=" statements?
Yes.

> Is this what the LPRng documentation calls "Bounce Queues"?
Yes.

> When I read the stuff in /usr/doc/lprng I got a little confused.
Me too!

> It talks about Bounce Queues but then says that
> both queses need to list the computer and printer...makes me think that
> they are talking about something different altogether...
Now you're comfusing me even more ;-).  I'm glad I didn't read this
before trying to set up my printcap!

> I was thinking that the first queue (the one with the "if=" statement)
> could point to /dev/null, and that the second queue had to point to the
> remote computer/printer...though I can't remember how
> the two would be connected... What did I miss that day in Printing 101?

I think an example is worth a thousand descriptions.  See "Running an
if for remote printers" in /usr/doc/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO.gz.

Also, here is my printcap entry.  The filter is not using magicfilter,
but that doesn't really matter.  This shows the basic plumbing of the
bounce queue idea.  Note that you print (in this example) to "lp", not to
the queue to which the bounce occurs (uswswdpt).  As in the HOWTO example,
my filter does an explicit "lpr -Puswswdpt" (thus doing the "bounce").

lp:\
	:lp=/dev/null:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/ljet-if:\
	:if=/var/spool/lpd/ljet-if/input_filter:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sf:\
	:sh:
uswswdpt:\