[LPRng] Remote Printer and if filters

Howdy All!!

Here's what I'd guess to be a simple one.
I've recently purchased a print server from Lantronix (LPS1-T) and I'm
able to print to is using a
fairly simple /etc/printcap entry:

lps|Lantronix Print Server LPS1:\
        :rm=lps_260923:\
        :rp=lps_260923_pcl:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lps_prt:\

However, when I try to use an input filter (a.k.a. magicfilter) it isn't
working.  I've got magicfilter
working on the same printer (HP LaserJet 5L) when attached to the
Parallel port, so I know it's
not magicfilter it'self.  I seem to remmeber that lpd doesn't use
filters and remote printers at the
same time...is that still correct?

Do I need to set-up two queses - one with the "if=" statement and one
with the "rp=" and "rm=" statements? Is this what the LPRng
documentation calls "Bounce Queues"?  When I read the stuff in
/usr/doc/lprng I got a little confused.  It talks about Bounce Queues
but then says that
both queses need to list the computer and printer...makes me think that
they are talking about something different altogether...

I was thinking that the first queue (the one with the "if=" statement)
could point to /dev/null, and that the second queue had to point to the
remote computer/printer...though I can't remember how
the two would be connected... What did I miss that day in Printing 101?

Simple question, I'm sure.
Thanks in advance.
Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner                 E-Mail:
Practical Network Design                Voice:  +1-419-529-3841