help...system reboots before install can even start

I've been working to get Debian (and actually redhat too, for testing
purposes) installed on a friend's computer.  However, every time he
tries to boot the rescue disk (or any install kernel i.e. using the
boot.bat or even redhat's install) his computer reboots after he sees
a few kernel messages.  He has a K6 with one Western Digital ultra DMA
and one Maxtor ultra DMA.  I thought that perhaps the Maxtor hard
drive was causing his problem, but he's switched them around in every
possible combination and it hasn't helped.  I had read that bios
caching can cause problems like this, so I had him go into his bios
and turn off all the shadowing, but to no avail.

What are other possible causes of this frustrating problem?

--
 _____  _
| ____|(_)     http://www.iit.edu/~jenseri
|  _|  | |     Page me via ICQ at