Master Boot Record Wars

<ext>
I think the 98 install on my Pentium may have trashed LILO. I cannot
active
the LILO menu with any combination of ctrl/alt/shift.
I think I can recover w/ the recovery disk.
</ext>

Yes, Windows doesn't ask, it just takes. Specifically, it takes the
master boot record -- it likes to assume that it's the primary or only
OS.

You can easily restore the master boot record to Linux. From Windows, go
into the CD-ROM. In the install directory, there's a file called
boot.bat. Running this will run Linux installation. If it doesn't work
from Windows, you can reboot in MSDOS mode and it'll work from there. (As
it turns out, you don't even need a rescue floppy!) Then, in the
installation menus, choose "Make Linux Bootable from the Hard Drive" or
some such. Linux will get the MBR again. (As I like to say at that point
in the process, "Mine! Give it back!") Then you can boot Linux and redo
lilo.conf and lilo.

shawn_harrison@tyndale.com