how to install packages w/o package file?

I'm fairly new at using debian and I don't yet know how to install packages
any other way than using dselect.  I'm trying to install the newest kde, and
have browsed to the appropriate deb distribution on ftp.kde.org, but the
directory doesn't contain a package file.  Is there a simple way to install
these files without a package file?  i.e. using dpkg w/ apt?  I'm not even
totally sure I know what that means, but I've heard others talk about doing
this.

Could someone illustrate for me how to install these .deb files easily
without using dselect?

I'm running slink and know how to modify my sources.list file for use with
apt.  I'm just not sure what to do after that.

Brian Morgan