Re: 2.2 with IPmasq and LP

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 11:56:50AM -0500, Jay Barbee wrote:
> My initial install of the kernel 2.2.0 was not too good.  I have to admit,
> I do not keep up with the development kernels, only the stable ones... so I
> felt very newbie-ish upon the problems.
>
> IPMasq... It is simply not setup the same.  ipfwadm does not work anymore
> and I needed to use ipchains.  also adding the 'echo "1" >
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' was something new as well.
>
> Once this was in place diald and ppp was working (PPP built in the kernel
> and SLIP as a module).
>
> LP, however, I cannot figure out.  I have parport (tried in the kernel and
> as module), parport_pc.o and lp.o all built.  I cannot get it to detect my
> printer?  I know it is going to use /dev/lp0 instead of /dev/lp1, but the
> kernel reports that no devices have been found?  very odd.   All I have to
> do is reboot to my previous 2.0.36 kernel and it detects the printer fine.

Have a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt. The following works
for me.

/etc/conf.modules:
alias parport_lowlevel  parport_pc
options parport_pc      io=0x378 irq=7

nestor:/usr/src/linux$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
parport_pc              5048   1  (autoclean)
lp                      4280   1  (autoclean)
parport                 6444   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]

--
Dietrich Kraus
ea160@fen.baynet.de