environment variables when X starts

Hi,

I bet this question was answered many times, sorry to bug you again...  Usual
situation when I start program using fvwm2 menu or some button, then not all
environment variables are set ($PRINTER in particular).  I usually define
environment for all users in /etc/profile and for "xterm" fix the situation
using:

XTerm*VT100.loginShell: true

Well it fixes situation for "xterm" but not for "netscape" or "xwp"

In Xsession I read that /etc/environment is sourced once X is launched.  Well
this file is missing in standard Debian installation :(

Question:
1. How common to all users environment variables are supposed to be set in X?
2. Is "ln -s /etc/profile /etc/environment" a good idea to solve this problem?

Thank you,
Sasha.