Re:SB PCI128 problem

Hi, Looks like you have a PCI sound card (Ensoniq, now
owned by Creative Labs). I have one of these cards at
work myself.

This is what I did to get it to work (Under kernel 2.2.0)

Kernel Compile options:
 <M> Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1370)
 <M> Creative Ensoniq Aidio PCI (ES 1371)

I selected both since I wasn't sure. On reading kernel
Documentation/sound/es137?, I know I have ES1370

%lspci -n
00:0d.0 Class 0401: 1274:5000 ## Indicates ES1370

Load module as usual  (insmod -s -v es1370).

Thats it! I could do cat something.au > /dev/dsp or play
CD. But not is all well though. My sound volume is
very low. Couldn't figure out why? Any ideas are welcome.

I have Debian 2.0.

Hope this helps,
Bye, nram                      nram@nram.virtualAve.net
|Linux Now             |             Ramesh Natarajan |
|http://www.kernel.org |   http://nram.virtualAve.net |
      In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
It is one of the most beautiful compensations of
life, that no man can sincerely try to help
another without helping himself.
-- Emerson

I'm trying to get my sound card to work..

Here is some info from dmesg..
[...]
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Sound initialization started
Sound initialization complete
PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
[...]
If it was found shouldn't it say something there?

===
  This probably indicates that you have sound compiled
  as module and not into the kernel.
===
/proc/pci says:
[...]
  Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq AudioPCI (rev 1).
      Slow devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=12.Max
Lat=128.
      I/O at 0x6000 [0x6001].

Ensoniq?? But the IRQ is correct.

I read in the Sound-HOWTO and in the kernel docs and in the later it said
that all should have the device files there but I don't have /dev/sndstat
on my newly installed debian-unstable.

===
  I think /dev/sndstat works for only ISA cards (like
  Soundblaster; I have AWE64 at home)
===

In the kernel (2.2.0-pre8) config I have selected 100% Sound Blaster, I/O
base=220, IRQ=10, DMA=1, 16-bit DMA=5, MPU401 IO base=330

===
  Get 2.2.0. Its beautiful!
===
Any hints on how to get the card to work??