Re: SB PCI128 problem

And thus spake Ben Jorgensen, on Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 06:40:04PM +0100:
> I'm trying to get my sound card to work..
>
> Here is some info from dmesg..
> [...]
> pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
> Sound initialization started
> Sound initialization complete
> PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> [...]
> If it was found shouldn't it say something there?
>
> /proc/pci says:
> [...]
>   Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
>     Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq AudioPCI (rev 1).
>       Slow devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=12.Max Lat=128.
>       I/O at 0x6000 [0x6001].
>
> Ensoniq?? But the IRQ is correct.

The Ensoniq ES1370 chip is used in the SB PCI128 (I have one myself). I
got sound working using alsa as opposed to the OSS kernel drivers, you might
want to check that out (deb packages are alsa-source, alsalib and alsa-utils
I believe, find more info at http://alsa.jcu.cz).

> I read in the Sound-HOWTO and in the kernel docs and in the later it said
> that all should have the device files there but I don't have /dev/sndstat
> on my newly installed debian-unstable.
>
> In the kernel (2.2.0-pre8) config I have selected 100% Sound Blaster, I/O
> base=220, IRQ=10, DMA=1, 16-bit DMA=5, MPU401 IO base=330

As someone else mentioned, you want to pick an Ensoniq AudioPCI or ES1370
module as opposed to generic SoundBlaster.

--
Kevin Doherty, kdoherty@jurai.net
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."