My /etc/X11/Xresources is a directory?!

Hi,

I had recently posted an email complaining that my RXVT and xterm do
not refresh when I scroll them resulting in unreadable lines of text.
I did not get any response and I thought I would in the meantime fix
another problem wherein backspace was not working. I had read in the
archives that this problem was seen by others and tried one solution
to no avail.

Then I was looking at the "X Strike Force" web page and thought I
would change the terminal type in /etc/X11/Xresources as specified in
that web page. I tried to edit that file and found out that it is a
directory on my system.

This directory contains two files, xbase and xbase-clients. The
contents of the files are:

::::::::::::::
xbase
::::::::::::::
! /etc/X11/Xresources/xbase

! load color-specific resources for clients that have them
#ifdef COLOR
*customization: -color
#endif

! make Xaw (Athena widget set) clients understand the delete key
*Text.translations: #override ~Shift ~Meta <Key>Delete:
delete-next-character()

::::::::::::::
xbase-clients
::::::::::::::
! /etc/X11/Xresources/xbase-clients

Is there something wrong here? Should Xresources be a file or should
it be a directory or can it be either?

I have a matrox productiva g100 graphics card and this was not
supported in the xfree86 that came with debian 2.0 so I installed the
version provided by SUSE which had the latest and which was to be
available in the next release of xfree86. I am not sure if that messed
things up.

If this is a problem, how do I clean it up? Please let me know if I
need to provide more info about my system. Please specify what since I
am a newbie.

Thanks.

deepak nulu