Re: CD Burning

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 jrobertson@na.cokecce.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am very new Linux user.  I have taken the time to download the raw files from
> the debian-cd mirror site closest to me.  I wanted to master my own CD that way.
> I unfortuneatly only have a DOS/Windows95 machine to work with.  Does anyone
> know of a dos or windows cd-writer that will accept raw formatted files.  I have
> Adaptec CD Creator for win95 and it doesn't like them.  Any thoughts would be
> very helpful.  I am looking forward to getting my feet wet with Linux.

What I used to use before I was enlightened and started to use linux for
writing, was a package called cdr-win available from www.goldenhawk.com.
If these "raw" files are just a direct data dump from /dev/cdwhatever then
they're iso format.  Cdrwin can write iso formatted files (in fact, I did
that all the time)  I believe there is a shareware version of it with
either a small cripple (maybe only 1x writes) or an expiry (should be long
enough to get you running debian).  But my advice would be to download the
base system on floppies, install it, download the cdrecord package, and
burn the cd's in linux.

ps. if the commandline to burn them is something like
# cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=2,0 cdimage.raw
then they're iso format and cdrwin can write them.

hope this helps.

-Dan