Re: [Modem trouble]

What kind of 56k modem do you have (v90, X2, or Flex)?  Which does your ISP
support?

I can tell I'm connected by using plog.  The last line (when I'm finally
connected) is my IP address.

Steve

>I have connected an external 56k modem to com1 (ttyS0). I ran pppconfig >and
filled in the info to the best of my knowledge. Then I ran pon. Then >I did a
'plog' and got the following diagnostics:

> abort on (NO DIALTONE)

> abort on (NO ANSWER)

> send (ATZ^M)

> expect OK

> --got it

> send ATDT2785620

> expect (CONNECT)

> ^M

> alarm

> Failed

> Connect script failed

> Exit.

> I tried pon again and got the same diagnostics..Then when I tried pon the
fourth time I got the following diagnostics:

> abort on (NO DIALTONE)

> abort on (NO ANSWER)

> send (ATZ^M)

> expect OK

> --got it

> send ATDT2785620

> expect (CONNECT)

> ^M

> Using interface ppp0

> connect ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0

> last message repeated 9 times

> LCP timeout sending Config-Request

> Connection Terminated

> Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

> Problem: all had bit 7 set to 1

> Hangup (SIGHUP)

> Exit

> I know that the modem is dialing out as I heard it do so all times..In the
first case, I didn't hear the screeching sound, whereas in the second, I did.

> So I thought the serial module device drivers should be enabled. So I ran
modconf as root and enabled them, but the system couldn't detect any. What
happened was at boot time, the system hanged. So then I disabled serial
modules...

> My 486 has a 16450 UART...Do you reckon this to be the problem. Should I be
using a modem of lower speed, say, 33.6??

> Here are some of the lines from /var/log/kern.log

> kernel: serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled

> .

> .

> .

> kernel: eata_dma : No BIOS32 extensions present. This driver release depends
on it

> .

> .

> .

> pppd: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0

> pppd: Using interface ppp0

> pppd: Connect: ppp0<-->/dev/tty1

> pppd: LCP:timeout sending Config-Requests

> pppd: Connection terminated

> pppd: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

> pppd: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 1

> .

> .

> .

> pppd: Exit

> .

> .

> .

> pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider : unrecognized option '/dev/modem'

> Having run pon, how do  I know if I'm connected. Will issuing a telnet
connect me to the remote server? I have just the base system. I have no
communcation software, like seyon or minicom or EzPPP, etc..neither do I have
any GUI, like XWindows..And I am the sole user of the system. I intend adding
more utililies, like XWIndows, etc..once I have the modem working properly and
am able to connect to my ISP.