Garbled screen

I have just got X running although only using VGA_16 server, but hope to
get SVGA server later. Now, I have annoying problem that when I exit X
my command mode display is garbled. Example: "command not found" is
displayed as "cmmad nt funnd" and "startx" is "sarrt". The commands are
working as I can go back to X and everything is OK , but after leaving X
,display is again garbled and I must reboot to clear it. Anyone have any
pointers on where I might look to solve this? Thanks.
Kim Breedlove